Monday, July 25, 2011

Talking about politics

My friend posted something on his wall and I responded to it with a bit of attitude. Eventually, there were a few of us talking back and forth and I wrote a diatribe on American politics. Below is what I typed, unedited and unabashed. Thanks to the people who made this possible (I asked them if they wanted shout outs or their parts of the conversation posted, and am waiting on replies, so I will edit them in as I get them).

These flashing numbers *clap*
Look really nice *clap clap*
No one will notice *clap*
They don't tell the story *clap clap*

How much would you be willing to spend if someone invaded the United States? What if they managed to overrun everywhere except NJ? Is there a number that seems ridiculous when you actually use it for defense?

I'd argue no, and the problem here is that there is a disconnect between the voters and the politicians such that the numbers can keep increasing. We initially went to war because there was an attack on U.S. soil, and I would bet that you were behind it then. And when we entered Iraq it was because it seemed that there were WMD's (I know there weren't, but if you look at how things were playing out back then, it's not like Saddam was doing much to help his case).

The conflicts that Obama has now are campaigns for human rights. I understand they aren't Americans, and that our strategy has been pretty piss poor, but I believe that an injustice anywhere is a threat to injustice everywhere (thanks MLK). If I was in a country where I was being oppressed, I can only hope someone would care to help my struggle.

The problem is, the money that gets earmarked for defense spending doesn't end up helping because of mismanagement and greed. Although a missile that can hit an ant halfway around the world is pretty cool, it isn't exactly effective on the streets of Afghanistan. The hundreds of millions that go toward these technologies isn't justified by their effectiveness in fighting war today. The only way that helps anyone is when the executives at Lockheed Martin pull down another fat government contract, then kickback half of it toward their politician's campaigns.

Would this money be as effective in the hands of the soldiers? I think it's better, and at least then we would be supporting our troops overseas, but it still isn't the answer. In this new war, as much of the "Defense" of the U.S. is improving the conditions of the impoverished as it is in bullets.

The problem at the core of this entire debate, the whole budget/deficit/military spending/social services is that Americans tolerate excess. I hate rich people, and I live in the U.S. above the poverty line. I can't stand assholes in Bentley's, but I had a car, when some of these people don't even have water.

We show up, kill the people in power, then walk around flaunting hundreds of thousands of dollars of military equipment while they struggle to have enough to buy the essentials.

So stop crying about Democrats and Republicans, at least you can vote. Stop crying about budgets that will lower your benefits, at least you have a hospital. Stop crying about how the system sucks, at least you don't have hidden military prisons and censored speech.

Instead, just do something to help someone else. It doesn't really matter what it is, just do something to let another human know you respect them, because that is the core problem: a lack of appreciation for life. As long as there are people who will tolerate other people struggling and suffering while they are comfortable this bullshit is going to happen, because for every person who puts up with one injustice, there is someone who actually commits injustices, and uses indifference to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment